Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Organizing - Tossing and Decluttering.

For months now since we upgraded the guest room, and moved the computers downstairs, the bonus room has been a wrecked room! Books all over the floor, toys scattered everywhere, discarded computer parts scattered from here to kingdom-come. Grrrr its been annoying me. Every time I walk in that room I have an overwhelming urge to light a stick of dynamite (because it would seriously make it look better.) Well tonight I got a bee in my bum - for lack of a better expression. On the weekend I had tossed 3 boxes which had taken up residence in the dining room and were accumulating stuff up into the bonus room and realized they could be put to good use - at least alleviating the visual clutter and paring it down to mere boxes... hey I can move anytime I want right! :) So I packed up all the junk in there and stuffed it all into boxes.

I have a plan to go through each box when the girls give me the night off and parse through their toys, along with other junk that has accumulated over the years (yes including dh's computer bits!) and make a go at emptying that room at least down to a couple rubbermaid/sterlite (for we can't be particular) boxes that will take up permanent residence in there. I think I will use it as my storage closet - since it is too cold in the winter and too warm in the summer to really do anything else with it. I couldn't imagine possibly sewing up there. *sigh* (of course for the amount we use the dining room maybe we should make the bonus room the dining *silly snicker!*)

When we moved the computers downstairs I had just taken all the stuff off my desk at the time and dropped it into one of plastic laundry baskets... and shoved it under a desk up there... well I filled it to the brim tonight while dh was putting the older one to bed... brought it all downstairs and (along with the garbage bag) and when the little bean went to bed started filling the garbage bag. The only thing left is a wad of scrapbooking magazines that I need to parse through and pull out the pages I want to keep! I think I'll get a binder and use some of the page protectors I have and start my ideas book.

10 minutes ago the basket was empty... it has now been filled with the first box that has been living in my laundry room for the last week or so.

I'm serious I have so got to get organized! And need to stop wasting my money on magazines which I will read through and then toss out! I daren't add up the amount of those magazines... as I decapitate them and realize how much I wasted!

Oh well happy decluttered home here we come! (come hell or high water!)

No comments: