Monday, May 26, 2008

Disappointment in SUBWAY and SCHOLASTIC

So the latest buzz on the homeschool groups is how SUBWAY is snubbing homeschoolers.
Subway and Scholastic books are running a story writing contest. Details of which you can find

http://www.subwayfreshbuzz.com/kids/contest.aspx


Our communities are filled with homeschooled kids. Sadly, they have chosen to exclude our children from this contest! While I don't jump on the bandwagon of Boycotting, this is an outright shot at our children for the choice that isn't their own!

Disclaimer:
Contest is open only to legal US residents, over the age of 18 with children in either elementary, private or parochial schools that serve grades PreK-6.
No home schools will be accepted.

I have sent my note to them already telling them how I feel. I'm beyond disappointed, M is very disappointed as well. As of today we will not be frequenting our local SUBWAY.... and frankly I think I may have to pull my purchases away from Scholastic books too!

2 comments:

AmyDe said...

I can't decide if it's a dig or a compliment. Do they not want homeschoolers so formal schoolers have a fighting chance or what? If that's the case I think it speaks volumes to the state of our traditional school system here in the US. Either way it is unfortunate for those of us who homeschool. Thanks for the heads up.

Grumpy said...

See the next post above
http://grumpy72.blogspot.com/2008/05/more-on-subway-issue.html
it was because one of the prizes was $5,000 in athletic equipment - that was intended for the school - and not appropriate for a single individual, but sadly there are other remedies for the situation.